Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2020

SLJ Day 7: Breakfasts

Many Germans go out to a bakery every morning and buy a variety of breads, some filled with cheese, others with four different types of Grain. With the breads, they will have a nice glass of fresh milk or grinded coffee, sometimes they will even have Orange Juice. On the breads they will have Marmalade, usually Cherries or Strawberries, or a nougat spread. Another dish is Brötchen with Schwarzwälder Schinken (Black Forest Ham). Sometimes there will be Tomatoes and Gherkins to mix up the flavour. Usually there is cheese and Salami too. This is very different compared to what I eat for breakfast, usually I’m either not very hungry at breakfast time so I don’t eat, or I eat some Peanut Butter and Jam on toast. Maybe once a week I’ll have eggs on toast, bacon, fried tomato and fried potato. I think I would prefer the normal/traditional German breakfasts, they seem quite tasty.


I made ANZAC Biscuits. I think that ANZAC Biscuits are the best New Zealand snack because they are a tradition, they can’t expire, and it can remind us about the people who fought for our freedom.


Personally I don’t think that breakfast is too important, I seldom eat breakfast, yet I think clearly and I am fit. I think it’s alright if you skip breakfast so long as you eat when you feel hungry. Recently it was actually proved that breakfast wasn’t the most important meal, as it had no real scientific evidence behind it, as new research suggests. More scientific evidence shows that people who tend to eat breakfast often gain more calories than people that don’ https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/no-evidence-that-breakfast-is-most-important-meal-of-the-day-says-review-1.3776135 (link to some of my evidence). Research also shows something that may be true, but I disagree with it, the research says that not eating breakfast slows down your metabolism, which should make you gain weight. The reason I disagree with that is, because I have not gained too much weight from not eating breakfast, I’m pretty sure I have gained about just as much weight as what someone else who eats breakfast, has. This is mainly experience, so I could be completely wrong, but unless there is true research into this I will disagree with this information. If you really think breakfast is important eat it, because you may feel hungry in the morning.



Last two images are of the typical breakfast in Germany. Image one is of the ANZAC biscuits I made for the second activity. What is your opinion on breakfast? What is your favourite Kiwi food and why?

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware that ANZAC biscuits never expire wowie ��

    Yeah I agree, I don't exactly think breakfast is to important.

    It really depends on the persons time for when they eat.

    My favourite Kiwi food would probably be pork, I don't have a story like yours �� but I like it for other reasons, not to much to do with Kiwis ��

    Cool post. I learnt about the ANZAC biscuits never expiring which is kind of nice, it makes me curious what they are made of.

    I respect the grind and time you put into this blog, well done 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben. Great post. I am like you - I don't eat breakfast until I am hungry which means I sometimes eat cereal at 11am.
    A breakfast memory I have of travelling through Germany - watching a German couple eating bread like you said and ... drinking red wine for breakfast. I could not believe my eyes!
    I made ANZAC biscuits too for the first time in years and years. I had two and Mr Lindsay ate the rest! You have to be quick in this household! :)

    ReplyDelete